What is renewable energy?
Renewable energy is that the types of energy which will not run out. For example, alternative energy from the sun is renewable as we won't be able to "use up" all the sunlight from the sun. Opposite with renewable energy is non-renewable energy. Non-renewable energy sources include fossil fuels like coal and oil. Once we use or burn these resources to generate power, they're gone forever.
Why is renewable energy important?
Many places of the world depend on non-renewable energy to heat their homes, power their electronic devices, and different machine such as car. Once these energy sources run out, they'll be gone forever. It's not deniable that developing technologies, which can use renewable energy efficiently, is extremely important to our future.
Using renewable energy sources is more beneficial for the environment than burning fossil fuels, as they do not pollute the environment as serious as non-renewable energy, which is able to help protect the environment and provide cleaner air and water.
Major Types of Renewable Energy
- Wind Power - The use of air flow through wind turbines to generate electricity
- Solar Energy - The rays from the sun will help to heat a building or a pool. They'll also become electricity using solar panels.
- Water Power - power derived from the energy of falling water or fast running water, which may be exploit for useful purposes.
- Wave and Tidal Power - the capture of energy of wind waves to do helpful work – for instance, electricity generation, water desalination, or pumping water.
- Geothermal Energy - We can use the heat from inside the Earth to warm our houses whith the help of heat pumps, as well as the steam can also be used to create electricity
- Biomass Energy - Plants gather energy from the sun by chemical process. we are able to exploit this energy by burning plants such as trees or making fuel from plants such as alcohol and biodiesel. Even gas from trash and manure can be used to produce energy.
Fun Facts About Renewable Energy
Burning coal is still remain the most popular in the U.S.A way of generating electricity, Which create half of the electricity used around the country. Carbon dioxide is created by burning coal.
By using only one large wind turbine, you can help to prevent the emssion of 5000 tons of carbon dioxide every year.
In 2008, only about 10% energy used wourldwide came from renewable sources.
The U.S consumes 26% of the world's energy although it only has 5% of the world population.
The energy from the sunlight falls on the Earth can be used for a whole year by everyone around the world
Around 50% renewable energy is to generate electricity
In some places, you can sell your own renewable energy, which is produce by the wind turbines or solar panels, to the local energy company.